From:
Paul Ecclestone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:21:30 -0500
Here's the scenario.  I installed Windows XP - no partitions.  Decided we needed a
partition or two.  Could NOT re-partition the drive.  Decided to format the drive.  BIG
mistake number one.  BIGGER mistake number 2 - used EZ-Drive (Western Digital)
on an IBM drive.  Lost the drive.  Not only could I not access the drive, I could no
longer get past the BIOS system info screen. In fact, I could not get the computer to
boot from the drive (obviously), the CD, or a floppy!  No matter what I did, it would
not boot.  Took the drive to another computer.  It would not recognize the drive.

Actually - let me qualify the last statement.  It would recognize the drive in the BIOS
info (on either computer) but that was it.

My suspicion is that I really euchered the boot sector.  I then downloaded a copy of
disk manager from IBM but of course can't get it to work on the drive since I can't
even get to the floppy to start the program.

My thought is that Windows XP has put something into CMOS.  I thought about
clearing the CMOS so that I could at least get to a floppy.  Does that make sense?

Desparate in Canada
--
Regards,

Paul Ecclestone

Success comes in cans, failure in can'ts

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com