From:
William Closure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:30:25 EST
In a message dated 12/17/01 11:31:07 PM Central Standard Time,

>   The battery on the motherboard provides power for two basic
> functions:
>
> 1.  Configuration data is stored in RAM (generally CMOS) that *does*
> require a small amount of current to keep its contents.  (This is
> "static" RAM, so all it needs is a trickle of power to the memory
> circuitry.  "Dynamic" RAM needs somebody to rewrite each and every
> memory location every so often, which makes it cheaper but more power-
> needy.)
>
> 2.  There is an electronic clock, similar to the innards of an
> electronic watch (sans display) that keeps track of the time and
> date; as part of the boot sequence, the operating system obtains the
> current time from this circuit and keeps track of time itself while
> up and running.  One of the early signs of imminent battery failure
> is that the machine, each time booted, doesn't know what day/time it
> is.

Which brings up the question . . .

How does one go about replacing the motherboard battery?  I have a Magitronic
Pentium, 32 Mg Ram, running Windows 98 of unknown age.  The clock has lost 20
minutes in the last week or so.  Should replacement battery be done with
computer running?  Plugged in?  How do I locate it?  How do I know what kind
of battery to use?  What do I have to do BEFORE I start messing with this, so
I don't lose up my computer.  (I already have one down.)  I have memories of
reading about computers blowing up (well, not literally) if batteries were
allowed to die.

I checked the archive, but couldn't find anything that addresses these
questions at this simplistic level.  Any web sites that can educate me?

William Closure

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>