From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:51:48 -0500
I've got 512 megabytes of SDRAM, but I'm getting out of memory errors in
Win98SE, even though my RAM meter shows 380 megs free.  After getting that
error, I went to the system.ini file and under vcache I put:

   MaxFileCache=524288

And I also went to msconfig and set the option to "limit memory to 512 MB"

Rebooted.  Still getting errors.  Do you think it would have been better to
only set one or the other and not both?

In the meantime, I decided to go for a smaller number for the MaxFileCache
in the system.ini file.  I set it to 131072 for 128 megabytes.  My question
is about how vcache works.  Is it basically setting the maximum amount of
memory that can be used to store files I have opened in the past, making
reopening those files quicker?  So by setting the MaxFileCache to 128
megabytes, Windows will only use that much for storing previously opened
files and save the rest for launching programs?  And what happens if I'm
actively using files, like if I have six or seven 40MB images open in my
image editor?  Will Windows put those images in the RAM or will it only fill
up the RAM to 128 megs and put the rest on the hard drive?

Thanks.  Just trying to stop these ridiculous errors.

Ethan

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml