From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 23:22:11 -0400
Hi Tom.

I am using the G5RV at only slightly higher height than what you
describe.  Most of mine is at about the 25 ft level.  It may not be ideal,
but you will get out with it.

On mine I notice reduced performance on 80 meters, and it does not like to
load on 20 meters above 14.275 with the auto tuner in my rig, although the
AT-11 will load it (it's a little more forgiving than the auto tuner in the
Kenwood TS-690S.  If I ever get an audible means of adjusting a manual
tuner, it would be a piece of cake with the Ten Tec 228.  Anyway, on the
portion of 20 meters that it does load on, I regularly work DX even at that
height.  I have also had luck loading it on 30 meters, although the load is
quite reactive, and coax length is critical.  The same is true at 17
meters--it doesn't like to load on the piece of coax that I used when I put
up the antenna, but if if I add a 10 ft. jumper to the feedline, then it
loads fine.  I don't think the performance is that great on 17 meters, but
I make plenty of QSOs on 30 meters.  Also, 12 meters seems to work on mine.

One thing that will work in your favor.  the lower ends will tend to lower
the feedpoint impedance, and you may discover that it is a little easier to
load it than it would be in a flat top configuration on some frequencies.

I used a double scaled version of the G5RV to get on 160 meters at my old
QTH, and it worked like a champ.  I had that one in an inverted vee
configuration, and when I moved out and got my own house, I left it for my
sister who is also a blind ham.  She uses it with a Kenwood TS-440S with
the AT-440 auto tuner with good results.

I  would try it.  I think that you have a reasonable chance of getting at
least some success on most bands.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 10:53 PM 4/10/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm thinking of putting up my g5rv antenna, but only can put the center up
>about 25 feet and the ends about 10 feet.  Will this be much use on
>anything but 10 meters?  I understand that it should be a full wave length
>elevation, but have no way of putting it up that high without installing
>supports.  I've moved to the San Diego County coast, close to the ocean,
>1/2 mile, and would like to work Australia.  I have a Cushcraft R7, but
>would need to buyt a new mast. Thanks for your opinions.
>
>Tom Karnes

Louis (Kim) Kline, A.R.S.  K2LKK
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]