From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 15:22:19 -0600
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> When I cooked in a restaurant in college, the Chef would keep steak
> long past what we mere cooks thought was safe. It smelled awful. Then
> we would cook it. Man that stuff was great. Sometimes a package of
> beef would go beyond what even the chef thought was saleable, then he
> would let us kitchen staff have it. We ate it and never got sick; it
> was great.

:-) I have to say I am really enjoying this thread.  The truth is I
was raised in an atmosphere of total dread of "germs" and disease and
my family is still like that, so it is so deep in me to freak out
about descriptions such as the above.

Yet I am learning that we live in a "sea" of bacteria, whether we like
it or not, and the best defense is to live with it and make our immune
system strong naturally.  I am so drawn towards eating raw foods and
raw meat and making friends with the sea of bacteria.

I just wanted to say that I am learning loads from this list and
experimenting myself and using my nose to tell me what to eat, and not
listening to my upbringing as much; I find a lot of it just isn't
working for me.  I know others on the list won't agree with me, but I
know that a lot of the problems we have caused for ourselves health
wise have come from pasturizing/ irradiating/ sterilizing our food, and it still hasn't solved the problem of people getting sick.

Crossing my fingers and hoping I don't die from an infectious disease tomorrow,

Jana