From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 08:34:15 -0500
Erik > I am also having a whole lot of trouble with allergies, even on the
paleo diet.  The paleo diet has improved them dramatically, but I'd love to
improve them even more.  What is your typical diet when you are not
cheating?  And, what kind of cheating have you done, which has resulted in
worse allergies?

Understand that I've gotten the best results from Ray's Neanderthin take on
paleo.  For me, cheating is to be avoided like the plague.  I pay pretty
severely for even relatively minor deviations from the diet in terms of
allergies, mouth ulcers, mood, bloating, and weight gain.  As Ray said,
even one potato chip will make me crave chips for about a week.

Here's my typical diet.  Meat at just about every meal: flank steak,
chicken, pot roast, uncured bacon soaked in water to remove salt and sugar.
I use a lot of olive oil for cooking.  I eat fruit and some vegetables.  I
love the Omega 3 eggs from hens fed flax seed.  I cook them in bacon grease
and will sometimes also fry up some granny smith apples in the grease too.
I also take fish oil capsules and drink green tea.  Almond butter.  I try
to get a pretty good variety.

My allergies worsen when I eat any grains or dairy.  In any form.  And the
severity of the allergies is directly proportional to the amount I eat.
One example might be a single hamburger bun.  My response is near
immediate, I might walk out the front door of the restaurant on a May day
here in Dallas and begin to sneeze and have my eyes water and sting.  I can
count on nasal congestion and a poor night's sleep that evening.  Cravings
for bread will go away finally in about a week.  I may get a mouth ulcer of
two for the experience as well.  My joints and muscles will stiffen and
sometimes ache.  I grind my teeth while sleeping, so my jaw muscles hurt.
Something like that.