Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 15:57:11 -0400
Jim Walsh asked:
>>Where are all the green leafys for me to eat! :)
>>What green leafy vegetables do other list members eat? What green leafys do
not have high levels of oxalate?

My reply:
There are lettuces that are very nutrient dense.  Look for spring mixes,
baby spring greens, and Mesclun greens, mixes of 10 to 20 vibrant greens
that are more nutritious than common leaf lettuce. They provide 180 mg
potassium per cup as well as vitamin C, carotenoids, and other nutrients,  A
one pound bag may set you back $6 but will provide 10 generous servings,
good nutrition, and healthy fast food.  Do rinse the prewashed greens, then
dry in a salad spinner. You can also add arugula, endive, escarole, or
radicchio to red or green leafy lettuce or romaine.  These lettuces are more
than just water!  They contain minerals and antioxidants, fiber, and flavor.

I eat generous amounts of kale, collards, mustard and turnip greens. Unlike
spinach, chard, and beet greens, they do  not contain oxalic acid.  They are
rich in calcium, vitamin C, betacarotene, magnesium, potassium, iron, and
folic acid. One cooked cup contains as much vit. C as an an orange.  They
are delicious sauteed with onions, herbs or spices, then simmered with a
little broth or stock.  Other good bets include Brussels sprouts, which are
leafy greens that are more condensed, folded in on themselves.  They are in
the cruciferous family with cabbage.

Rachel Matesz