Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 06:33:39 -0700
Hi Halle,

I don't envy you your position. Personally, I don't feel compelled to insist on my food choices when it comes to anyone else ... Even if they're living in my home. When my dad had terminal cancer he didn't want anything  but a few specific, totally unpaleo foods. Nothing I fed him was going to change his situation. Stopping the constant worrying about what he was eating gave me the freedom to enjoy what time we had left. We quit arguing about food and got on with loving each other.

As for what he might like that is paleo. I like to make what I call Hamburger Crumble. It should be easy enough for him to eat. Brown ground beef as for chili or spaghetti, only don't add the tomatoes ... Just beef, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook till everything is done and serve any way you like. I often just throw it in a bowl and eat it with a spoon. My husband isn't paleo, and he likes it heaped on mashed potatoes. If you don't drain the fat, it might help add a few pounds!

I make smoothies with a variety of frozen fruits (strawberries, peaches, blueberries, pineapple), pineapple or apple juice and coconut milk. (I use Trader Joe's Lite Coconut Milk because the consistency is better and it has no other additives.) This will give him quite a few calories, and a significant amount of fat. AND THEY TASTE DELICIOUS!!

NancyO

"I could really use some good creative food
suggestions. My father in law has come to live with
us again. He is very ill, basically, he is losing
elasticity in the tissues of his internal organs. This
is seen as a terminal condition. (What exactly is
going on we can't be sure. Dad is secretive about his
medical issues.)"