Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:40:34 -0400
Sheryl Canter said:
>>I've been eating mostly paleo for the last week... main thing I've
noticed is...I'm not so filled up by the main course when I go to
restaurants... when I don't eat the bread and starchy side dishes.

My reply:
A meal of fish or lean meat and steamed veggies will likely be less caloric
than what you previously ate in restaurants.  Bread or rice or pasts doused
with or cooked with fat creates a very calorie dense dish. To meet your
energy needs and feel more satisfied, you may need/want to eat more volume
of food and/or more often, say three meals plus an intentional snack (not
haphazard, mindless snacking but an intentional sit down and eat kind of
snack!) per day. You may find it helpful also to include a salad and steamed
veggies when dining out, or pack a piece of fruit or two for dessert when
dining out.  Including a root, fruit, or occasional tuber (sweet potato for
example), in meals may help you feel more satisfied.  When dining out, you
may want a little more more friendly fat (request olive oil or fresh avocado
to put on your steamed veggies, or real butter),

Non-starchy vegetables are less calorie dense. Many people find that eating
this way they need to eat more volume, and can eat a greater volume of (low
calorie density, high nutrient density) food.   Raw or cooked carrots,
roasted roots, even low glycemic whole fruits are very low in calories
compared to bread, pasta, rice, crackers, chips, cookies, etc.

Rachel