NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Blekicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:07:25 -0500
I have been reading your list serve for sometime now and was wondering
if anyone can help my son, Tony.  He is 13 years old and he started
having a lot of gas and diarrhea after eating things like raviolis and
grilled cheese sandwiches about 2 years ago.   I eliminating those
things from his diet and tried to stay away from foods that contained
whey.  He was still having the symptoms but not as often.  Then about a
year ago he started having gas and diarrhea more often and sometimes
only 30 minutes after eating foods containing milk, snack type cakes and
cookies or luncheon meats that contain lactose.  We went to a pediatric
gastroenterologist in 11/2002 and Tony took the Hydrogen Breath Test.  I
couldn't believe it came back negative.  I thought the drink would have
sent him right into the bathroom but it never did.  The doctor was no
help after that.  He had us keep a food diary for 3 weeks and then told
Tony to stay away from the foods that bothered him.  Now he drinks
Lactaid milk which doesn't bother him and he takes Super Milk Digestant
pills before eating some things such as white bread, rolls and other
processed foods.  Sometimes they work sometimes they don't.

If it's not lactose he's intolerant to can anyone tell me what is
bothering him?  He's going to camp in the summer and I don't know what
to tell them in terms of what he can and can't eat.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Arlene Blekicki