NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:26:03 -0400
Michele Ferris wrote:

 > In fact, we at with new
 >friends last week and didn't remember to tell them I'm allergic to dairy,
 >but I expected that there would be several dishes I could eat
 >anyway...wrong!  Every dish contained dairy.  (Learned a good lesson there!)

It depends on the restaurant, and possibly the area. Here in NYC they
always use vegetable oil, never ghee*. Avoiding dairy is easy. Up in
Westchester County the two restuarants I went to put butter in almost
everything. One put dairy literally in everything, including marinading
*all* their meat in yogurt. Over in Zurich I found many of the restaurants
put dairy in everything. But other cities in Switzerland weren't a problem.

* ghee is relatively expensive, so you don't find restaurants using it.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.