C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill K Ach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:20:39 EST
Normalcy refers to the manner in which a person thinks and acts in
accordance with the prevailing mores of a given social unit.  In a
physiological sense, normalcy refers to the manner in which our bodies
usually function in terms of meeting our usual bodily needs.  Impairment
refers to the effects of any disruption of those processes.  Disability
also refers to a condition that interferes with those processes; many
times, the two terms are used interchangeably.  Sexuality refers to the
level of performance of the sexual act.  Advocacy is the art and science
of speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves.  Capacities refer
to capabilities - the ability to use our talents.  I'm not familiar with
the terms 'Medical Model' and 'Social Model'.  I suppose they refer to an
ideal medical condition in contrast to an impaired medical condition ;
'Social Model' may likewise cite an ideal condition in which is described
the manner in which a given subject can function within his/her social
unit.  Culture is the totality of manners and customs of any society, as
reflected in the collective behavior of that society.  Media refers to
the print and broadcast industry.  Doctors/'experts' refers to the
medical community and authorities in medicine, health care, the healing
arts, alternative medicine and allied health.  The term 'experts',
however, is often used loosely.  Sometimes a definition of that term is
required.

These are my observations from my reading and experience with doctors and
other experts in their respective fields.

Bill Ach