C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:15:39 EST
In a message dated 3/8/2002 6:50:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Oh Betty! I'm so happy to hear this! BTW; how tall is Bundy?
>
> I'm guessing Mag, but I'd say about 30" from head to tail.  There are
> larger macaws, but Bundy is still fairly impressive.  There are a couple of
> people who won't even come in my house because of him.  Perhaps he may one
> day be a deterrent to a would-be robber.  Perhaps he already has been.

He's asleep now, in his home where he belongs.  He didn't express the anger I
thought he might have, but the people at this place took such care about the
way they handled the situation, that he never gave much of an indication of
being traumatized.

We'll be fine.  Everything is going to be fine.  There have been tragedies
and problems discussed on this list this year that makes me feel a shamed to
get upset over some of the things I get upset about.  The things that are
wrong here, these are things that I can fix.  I feel like I have every reason
to think positively.  I haven't been taking care of myself properly, and I
need to start doing that.  That's my disability rights task of this day.

Speaking of the reason for this thread's title, I did have a good
conversation with the grocery store manager the other day.  We're going to be
working a little bit together to help his employees understand more about
their customers with disabilities.  I feel very good about this, because they
do seem to be decent people.  The language and cultural barriers make it hard
to discuss concepts and ideas, but they gave me the impression that they
wanted to do the right things, and that's more than half the battle.  If I
could have had that kind of compliance attitude from people when I was
working in safety, I could have phoned in half my job.

The handicapped parking spaces will be a different ball game.  It's owned by
a separate corporation.  They need to make these spaces wider, there is no
additional access space.  If your chair comes out of the side of your van or
car, there is no space for you.  If you need to have your vehicle door opened
all the way to get in or out, there are no promises.

Today Bundy; Monday, Bundy and the grocery store; Tuesday, Bundy and the
world.

Betty