BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

I'm sorry your facade fell off - I got the mortar formula off the internet." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:11:24 -0500
Be aware that this is a much sexier topic than lime - water
filtration!!!

Has anyone ever worked on/have knowledge of historic water filtration
plants? I am writing a National Register Nomination on a water
filtration plant in Grand Rapids, MI -  and it certainly has local and
state wide significance (first plant to use fluoride) - but the review
board wants a broader context -- ie. Was it the first, third, whatever
in the country ---

It is a rapid sand filtration plant -- Romanesque Revival style - 1910
doubled in size in 1924 -- designed by Hering and Fuller NYC engineers.

Anyone know of other Rudolph Hering and George Warren Fuller work?

Anyone know of other early (early 20th c) rapid sand or "American" water
filtration plants in US?

Any suggestions, ideas you can offer appreciated--
Jennifer