BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
can't australian computers read? <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:04:41 EDT
Though I've never seen the movie, which I'm afraid to admit lest I suddenly
receive a flurry of annonymous brown wrapper packages from fellow BP'rs, the
*legend* of Deep Throat I think is as pervasive in our culture as Easy Rider.
[And I'm prepared to hear all opinions.] Or will we find that one or another
preservationeer parent, or child, steps up to the virtual podium to tell us
how they showed this film at their last holiday family dinner? I hope not,
though I have my suspicions. I suppose this could constitute a thread about
the endurance of bad cult movies? I do think it important that, as with
Malcom X, that Linda Boreman spent the last portion of her life seeking out
different purpose from the events that created their celebrity.

][<en

"Deep Throat" star Lovelace dies

An icon of Seventies pornography, Linda Lovelace, has died in a Denver
hospital from car crash injuries, The Independent reports. The former
blue-movie star, whose real name was Linda Boreman, was 53 and had two adult
children. She made her name in Deep Throat, a 1972 colour sex flick that
became a minor cultural phenomenon. In her 1980 autobiography, Ordeal, Ms
Boreman said her first husband, from whom she was divorced in 1973, forced
her into pornography at gunpoint. She fled the industry, and became a fixture
on the anti-porn lecture circuit, appearing with leading feminists. Boreman
said of Deep Throat on its release, "I did it because I love it," but told a
Senate committee a decade later, "every time somebody sees that movie,
they're watching me being raped," says The Times. Her campaigning receives no
mention in the Telegraph, which cites Deep Throat as the first pornographic
film not just for men in macs but "for the chattering classes too," and what
the paper sees as a continuing descent into smut.