From:
Brett Winchester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:13:44 -0600
Well, the problem of hauling about the laptop is there for the sighted user as well.  yes, they can use the display but with some memorization and some well designed cheat sheets even the vx5 is more useable than at first glance.  Even sighted users have to referr to the manual or cheet sheets from time to time.

Thank You!

BRETT K WINCHESTER  PM  KD7JN
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.icbvi.state.id.us/brochure/RADIO.HTM

READING SERVICES MANAGER
ICBVI - IDAHO COMMISSION f/t BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED
P O BOX 83720
BOISE IDAHO  83720-0012
208-334-3220 ext 104 or 103 +7 = voice mail non-business hours
fax  208-334-2963

>>> Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]> 08/05/01 09:03AM >>>
My sentiments, exactly!

--Lou K2LKK

At 10:30 PM 8/4/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Chuck,
>
>We haven't got our problems licked if we can program a radio with a
>computer.  You forgot that a person can't haul around a laptop computer
>everywhere because it's just too heavy and inconvenient.  People who
>travel frequently want to be able to program a radio on-the-go without
>having to use a computer.  I think it takes away something from ham radio
>when you can't program a rig independently without using a computer.
>
>Terri, Amateur Radio call sign, KF6CA.  Army MARS call sign, AAT9PX.
>
>On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Charles Lunkley wrote:
>
>|Dear fellow hams,
>|
>|     If we can acquire access to programing a rig from our computers we
>|have all the existing problems licked.  If however, the software layout
>|is not compatible with our speech programs we are back in the bucket.
>|I just don't think that there is a rig out there that isn't going to re
>|quire some sighted assistance.  It is too bad that there is not a web
>|sight
>|where we can go to get on line assistance with any rig we want.  Good luck
>|and
>|good haming.
>|Chuck--KI6HK

Louis (Kim) Kline, A.R.S.  K2LKK