From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 19:21:23 -0600
Jeffrey,

Put the tape recorder in a led line box when using it.  Just joking, of
course, but I know the feeling.  I literally live on a busy street, I'm
talking about a heavily travel street, and I did high speed cassette
duplicating for years.  I also did re mastering of audio cassettes for
customers so I was always running some recording device all day.  Plugged in
devices sometimes help prevent RF from getting into the equipment but that
isn't always true either.  I have discovered CB radio signals coming in on
my audio recordings before just from them driving by my house out on the
street.  It could be worse, I could have a ham living next door to me who
ran 1.5 KW output on 20 meter side band, grin.  You can go to Radio Shack
and try buying some snap on toroids, is that how you spell it?  The problem
is with that, however, if your recorder is running on batteries and not
plugged into the wall, they won't help either.  The next thing you could
try, although it is a little unpractical, is tearing out all your sheet
rock, lining the walls with foil from top to bottom, and putting new sheet
rock back up.  I said it was unpractical.  The problem today is, rarely is
electronic equipment shielded enough to stop even the weakest of signals
from getting through.  Man, there is so much RF in the air, it is a miracle
we all aren't, at the worst, dead, and at the least, sterile.  It sounds
like your only remedy is to keep the recorder away from the equipment when
transmitting.  Shoot, years ago, my HF rig used to shift frequency a little
whenever I transmitted 10 watts on two meters so I couldn't work CW on hf
while talking on two meters or my CW signal sounded like teletype.  Well,
just about anyhow.  You've likely heard they are trying to scare us into
believing that cell phones, being so close to our heads, will cause brain
tumors, and this, even after a ten year study in Europe using over 400,000
cell phone users proved otherwise.  Man, I can remember when they said
microwaves, when they first came out, caused blindness, heart attacks,
cancer, and just about everything else in the world.  The latest cell phone
scare is that some states want to pass a law that you cannot use your cell
phone at a gas station because, they say, your Mickey mouse low powered cell
phone might cause a fire and explosion.  No fooling.

Phil.
k0nx