From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:52:13 -0500
Hi.

There are not as many of them around, but the Standard C528 is another good
blind-friendly radio.  It is a 2m/70cm radio, with extended receive on each
band.  I have had one for almost 10 years, and it has been a wonderful
radio.  There aren't as many of them around as HTX202s, and the fact that
Standard no longer makes amateur radio equipment is a definite drawback,
but if you can find one of these in good shape, it is definitely
accessible.  One thing that I like that Standard did was to put different
pitched beeps on its keyboard functions to indicate on and off
states.  This helps a great deal when setting up things like repeater
offsets, PLs, etc.

I wish more companies would adopt this approach to provide good audible
feedback on keyboard functions.

Replacement batteries for this radio are also available through Battery
America.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis (Kim) Kline, A.R.S.  K2LKK
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]