From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:38:00 +0000
I sent this to Kevin privately, but on reflection, I thought the rest of
the list might be interested.  Steve, I did presume a bit when mentioning
you, but thought you wouldn't mind.  That automatic tuner is a dream.
Thanks a lott.

Now my comments regarding the kenwood ts-2000.  I have only owned this rig
for 1 week, so bear with me.

I just bought a kenwood ts-2000.  Over all, what a joy to use.

Although there are a multitued of buttons on the front pannel, most have
distinctive shapes and are arranged in a fairly logical format.

The optional $39 voice synthesizer is pretty good, and will speak the menu
numbers and their settings.  Frequency is announced, and mode is announced
in cw.

The built-in antenna tuner handles swr from 10 to 1 on down.   I am using a
90 foot random wire configured as a sloper from the top of a 30 foot tower
down to a tree about 10 feet off the ground.  In line with this is an mfj
versa tuner. the 971 I think.  I just turn the inductor switch for loudest
noise, then let the auto tuner do the rest.  I have loaded up from 160
through 10.

The manual from kenwood in pdf converted fairly well, accept for the
tables.  However, most of the data in the tables is explained in the
surrounding text.

There is a direct entry keypad, and a rotary tune control with variable
torque.

Coverage is from 160 through 10, 6, 2 meters, and 70 centimeters.

The rear pannel has four antenna connectors.  three so-239s; two for hf/6
meters, 1 for 2 meters, and N connector for 70 centimeters, and an rca jack
for a separate hf recieve antenna.

When setting menu options, the synth speaks as the option changes.   When
setting other options like output power, the multi-ch control is detented
and a beep sounds at minimum and maximum settings.

Many buttons have different beeps for on or off.

So far I have only had around an hour of sighted assistance, to help hook
up the radio, install the voice synth, and give me an overview of the front
and rear pannels.

I was on the air on 2 meters within ten minutes of hooking up the rig.
Granted, I had downloaded and read most of the manual before purchasing
this radio.

There is computer control, but I've got to get a long serial cable first.
The software, however, speaks well with window-eyes; I only had to reclass
one custom control to a listview.

Power is up to 100 wats on cw and ssb through 2 meters, and I think 50
watts on 70 cm.

25 watts a.m.

all modes are supported on all bands.

It has many scanning and memory functions which I have not yet tackled.  I
also got myself into several jams, but with patience and the manual, I
managed to get out of them.

On the minus side, there seems to be only one programmable function key on
the front pannel, and consequently, you can only have one of the two voice
modes active.  I use "voice 1" which speeks menu settings, and vfo setting.
 "voice 2" speaks s-meter and vfo settings.  I may order the optional
better microphone which gives another pf key.  Also, some of the buttons
are a bit crowded, and small.  However, these seem to be less frequently
used controls.

If  I can be of further assistance just let me know.  Also, Steve Forrest,
another member of the list has one of these radios.  He answered a few
questions for me along the way.  I am sure he will be glad to help as well.

I am currently cleaning up the manual, and when I get it done, I will make
it available to anyone who needs it.

Hope this helps you in your quest for a new rig.  I really think kenwood
did a nice job with this one.  As soon as I learn the rest of the radio,
and get my thoughts in order, I plan to write them with some suggestions
for even better accessibility.  I think most of these can be accomplished
with firmware upgrades.

Please write back with any further questions.