From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:30:57 -0500
Hi y'all,

So I wonder--what'd y'all think of Calling CQ? I mean, since the list
was down, what else was there to read? (Only kidding, of course.)

Some thoughts from me:

Well, I loved it! Of course, I couldn't help thinking while reading it
about your father saying, "When I was your age, I had to walk to
school! Ten miles! Through the snow! Uphill! Both ways!" But that was
really just sort of, I don't know,  not what I thought the tone of the
book was at all, it just crossed my mind. Especially with the story
about those guys in the lighthouse. But that book sure is full of some
great stories. My overriding thought was, man, there's no way I could
measure up to the balls some of those guys had! I mean, they did what
had to be done in a lot of cases, but I couldn't help but
think. ... Would I have the wherewithal to act in a similar way? Would
I have the strength of character? Would I have the ingenuity? I
certainly wouldn't have the ingenuity! Heck, I'd love to try my hand
at building something, but I can't quite figure out how I'd do the
soldering. But I do have a friend or two who says that they'd love to
help me put together some QRP gear--which sounds like loads of fun!
But mostly, that book just affirms to me that we have a great hobby,
and we have a wonderful tradition and heritage to uphold. Let no one
say ham radio is a boring hobby for boring old guys with boring aches
and pains and boring old equipment and are living in the past. Hey,
you gotta know the past to see the future, or something like that,
right?

Vy 73,
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV    | From the pines down to the projects,
Email: [log in to unmask] | Life pushes up through the cracks.