AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:26:03 GMT
Hello,

In message  <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] writes:

>We have all sorts of adaptive equipment, and, in fact, that is where a lot
>of the time is spent--helping patrons use the adaptive equipment.  All of
>these staff members are paraprofessionals.  The problem with getting a
>position through a grant is that a grant usually only will pay a patron's
>salary for a limited period of time.  I think as we will get new students
>all the time, the demand on the Media Resources staff's time won't be
>decreasing.  I agree that the idea of having a person just to help with
>patrons with disabilities is a good one, but I doubt it's a possibility in
>our library.

All the more reasons for wanting some assistive* equipment which is so
easy to use that most patrons will be able to learn by themselves, and
for which staff training will be minimal.  That's been our aim in the
design of WordAloud - piloted in a European project for the elderly,
so it had to be extremely user-friendly, esp. for computer-phobes!

* Note that WordAloud is "assistive" rather than "adaptive", as it
_assists_ in the reading process.

Cheers from Chiswick,

John
--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk