Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 15:53:42 -0400
Summer's coming and time to think of preserving the summer's fruits. Last
year I froze blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries and peaches.
But freezing isn't very Paleolithic. So, I've been trying to learn about
dehydrating food. What I have found is dehydrators can be big and some
things need pretreatment. Being lazy I'd rather not pretreat, in addition
to it not fitting in.

People say a dehydrator should have heat, a fan, and a thermostat. A big
expense is how many trays one buys.

In rec.food.cooking there is a thread on rehydrating cherries, blueberries,
and raspberrries.

On this page: http://www.foodsafety.org/he/he522.htm

There are tables of foods with suitability and their pretreatment. It says
cherries are excellent, blueberries fair, and berries with seeds not
recommended due to "High seed content and slow rate of drying."

Also it has "Suitability For Fruit Leather." I don't know what fruit
leather is.

What does Ray dehydrate (besides pemmican)?

Don.