Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 00:21:16 -0800

Yes, the subject is mouthful.  Before the Celiac really kicked in I
started having issues with tomatoes.  Now it's all nightshade fruits
from tomatoes to peppers (bell and the spicy hot kind) to paprika --
and everything has paprika!  It's almost always an ingredient in the
mysterious "spices" grouping on labels.  The only nightshade I *can*
tolerate is potato, the root in the group.  (Thank goodness on that
one.)

If there are others of you out there with Celiac and this particular
food allergy (and for me it is an allergy not an intolerance -- flushed
skin, closed throat, etc. you know the drill), I could really use your
advice in dealing with it.  What do you do for ketchup, mustard, etc?
Nightshade free hot dogs would be a small blessing.  Salty/chip style
snack foods that are paprika-free?  I miss cheesy poof style things.
How do you spice things without going overboard on the peppercorn or
horseradish/wasabi or powdered mustard?  I love ginger, but it only
goes so far.

I've been making my own mustard so far.  It's, uh, interesting.  I
think I cleaned out a pesky kitchen drain clog with the leftovers.
And, you really can get used to pizza without tomato sauce.  It just
takes some time and understanding from those willing to share the
oddity with you.

Help, recipes, food suggestions, et al will be greatly appreciated.

angie
los angeles