From:
Donald Baisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:28:01 -0800

The most complete response came from [log in to unmask]

Here are my tips:  You mentioned Trader Joe's but it's my favorite.  They
only recently started carrying two GF pantry mixes (baking and brownies),
carries 3 types of Food for Life GF bread (brown rice, rice pecan and rice
almond) cheapest place around for GF bread.  Boney's on Oceanside Blvd (not
far off the I-5) has Pamela's Cookies, Bob's Red Mill mixes, Amy's Shepard's
Pie and Mexican Tamale Pie (last week 2 for $3), several kinds of GF breads
in the refrigerated section, brown & white rice flour, garbanzo flour, rice
and quinoa pasta and noodles, and some of the best veggies and fruits at the
best prices around.  They used to carry more items like Pamela's biscotti
and Frookies GF cookies but no more. Costco had Amy's cheese enchiladas
recently and usually has Crunch Master rice crackers.  Ralph's at O'side
Blvd and College Blvd carries some Bob's Red Mill products, Braggs Aminos,
some Cascadian Farms and Amy's products.  Whole Foods has a market off La
Jolla Village Drive down south; there's a restaurant in there called Mrs.
Gooch's that has several selections that are GF; they list all of the
ingredients on the displays.  Beware the cookies in the bakery made from
rice flour; I was told by one of the bakers that the chocolate chips have
barley in them.  Jimbo's is another market with outlets in Del Mar and
Escondido that carries rice pasta, frozen goods and some other GF stuff.
They seem to be more expensive than the others, though.  They do usually
carry a corn/quinoa pasta in the bulk section and maybe even brown rice
spaghetti but it's been awhile since I looked.

A couple of restaurants:  The Beach Break Cafe on S. Coast Hwy in O'side has
the best breakfast.  Beware that their omelets are huge (4 eggs).  They have
corn tortillas from a local tortilleria (La Fe) that I've called and made
sure of GF status (they break down and clean their equipment between runs)
and salsa that is some of the best.  Souplantation in Carlsbad is my
favorite for lunch or dinner.  Each station has a book with a list of
ingredients for what's served there such as salad dressing at the salad bar,
soup ingredients at the soup bar.  Rosarita restaurant right by the Boney's
on O'side Blvd, has good Mexican food but their sauces and refried beans
have flour.  The whole beans are pure though, so I'll either order a side
salad and order of the whole beans or enchiladas with no sauce and use their
salsa.  I asked Neiman's in Carlsbad once about bringing in my own pasta and
that was a big no.

Most of the responses identified the Whole Foods Market at LaJolla
Village Drive  and Nobel Dr in La Jolla as an excellent source as they
carry all kinds and brands of  GF pastas and muffins. Several mentioned
Bonies in Oceanside on Oceanside Blvd north of the I-5, and Jimbos in
Encinitas. also a number recommended Henry's Marketplace for it produce
and meat.

Don in Carlsbad, CA