From:
Adrienne Meisel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:03:21 -0500

I can help you with this one!  There is a restaurant called Abigael's on
Broadway and I believe 38th.  It is AMAZING!  I mean, absolutely
incredible!  There are also a few other koshter restaurants around there
on Broadway, however I am not sure if they are Glatt Kosher or not.  I
believe Abigael's has a website (www.Abigael.com).  They were so
wonderful!  I had the salmon and it was absolutely amazing.  They also
have steak that is in a gf marinade.  They have it all here!  Even
sorbet for desert.  Enjoy and let me know if you have any other
questions!

 I am kosher and I never had a problem
eating in any NYC glatt kosher restaurants. You can
always find something toe at: salads, some soups,
simple meat dishes such as hamburgers (not
meatballs-they are problematic) many chicken dishes,
such as barbecued chicken, grilled chicken, etc. You
can have rice, mashed potatoes, etc. I am very
sensitive to gluten and rarely have a problem after
eating out.

Also, Chinese restaurants (tehre are quite a few
kosher chinese places in NYC) always have chicken with
cashews that is almost always gluten free. And, there
are a few Indian places in NYC with many rice based
dishes.

There is one place on the East Side, Caravan of
Dreams, a dairy place that is kosher and that has many
many gluten free breads and desserts as well as
pancakes etc.Its a great place to eat gluten free.

You should have no problem. Enjoy!

My wife is Celiac and yet we have been able to eat at various GLATT and
non-glatt Kosher restaurants in NYC. What my wife does is to  explain to
the owner / chief cook / waitress the situation  which is then followed
by some thoughtful rumination.

They usually comeback and say how about one half roast chicken, with
vegetables and a baked potato.  This does work.  If the pastrami can be
testified as GF, pastrami on rice cakes is wierd but it also works.  The

biggest problem is that they may not know if a particular dish is/is
no tgluten free.

You might look to DININGKOSHER.COM who publish the authoritative guide
to kosher new york restaurants as a source.

In the end, its a restaurant by restaurant situation.  If you are
dealing with a few places in a small geographic area then stopping in or
calling will probably work. otherwise,start at the As and go through to
the Zs....it'll be quite a job.

There is a Jewish Celiac Website (the url escapes me at the
moment....try google.com to search.  The last time I was there they were
still nailing the site together.  You will problably have more luck with
the vegetarian places, the japanese places butyou still must be very
careful.  It just takes so much time to explain the situation...and
having done that they may still not understand and unwittingly """poison"""
you.

The greatest loss for my wife was not being able to eat barley and
mushroom soup out.  If we could onluy come up with a gf version of
that.....WOW!