From:
Kelli Wages <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:31:29 -0500

I have so many wonderful and inspiring answers to my question about
eating disorders and CD.

This is what people have said:

Yes, there is a relation between CD and eating disorders.  Mostly it
stems from our obsesssion with food and always thinking about it.  We
can't just eat like normal people, we have to think about everything
that goes in our mouths.

One said do not deprive myself of toast.  Mireille from Quebec suggested
Betty Hagman's book:  The Glutenfree Gourmet Bakes Bread.  Plus, a
recipe at this site:  http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages/  search
for msg #901.14.

Many said that at first, we substitute GF sweets and carbs in place of
our gluten-filled healthy foods like toast, waffles, etc. and that
causes weight gain/body dysmorphia.  A lot of you said you have gained
weight after going GF.  The thing to do is arm ourselves with GF healthy
foods and find a local CD group that can help us get through.

Some said to ignore the cravings and eventually, a GF diet will taste
good.

One said to cut working out to 4 days a week and staying lactose free.

Ruth - a dietician, said this:  There absolutely is a relationship --
I'm a dietitian and I suspect many of the anorexic patients I've seen
are celiac (based on history and physical symptoms and especially, mood
and brain symptoms.)  Recently I've seen that both anorexia and celiac
share neurotransmitter imbalances (alterations of brain chemicals -- if
one brain-chemical is off-balance, all neurotransmitters are affected --
)  And the neuro-transmitter which is unbalanced is serotonin,
implacated in many emotional/behavioral disorders! as well as migraine
headaches.  (I forget whether serotonin's high or low -- I'm almost
positive it must be high serotonin levels in the brain which are found
in anorexics and obsessive-compulsive disorders and migraines AND now
celiac disease also).  She also sent me some attachments, if you're
interested, let me know.

Jean gave me the following info, which is a really good idea for those
of us trying to lose weight:  The best eating plan I came across was
actually a weight loss program called "Light Weigh".  It is a Catholic-
based approach to weight control, meaning like the AA program it relies
on prayer and reliance on God to fill your life.  The mechanics are that
your stomach is (or should be) the size of your closed fist.  The ideal
is to let your stomach shrink to that size by eating only that quantity
of food at a time.  It's about the same amount as would fit in a coffee
mug.  There are no limitations on what you eat, only that you limit the
quantity.  The second part of the program is that you eat only when you
are hungry.  Not "that looks good" or "that would taste good", but "my
stomach is empty and growling" hungry.  It doesn't matter when you ate
last - 3 hours or  5 hours.  Eat a limited quantity when you are hungry.
The best part is that you never feel deprived.  You don't feel bloated
from overeating.  You can save a portion of whatever you are eating until
later.

Most wanted to know what I found out.

Finally, we should just accept our bodies the way they are and try to
forget about society's obsession with slimness and beauty and
concentrate on what's on the inside.

I hope I covered everything.

Kelli/Michigan
^^
"I can hear the wind whisper my name...telling me it's time to
head out again...my horse is trailed and the lights are shut
down...and I'm long overdue for headin' out of town...I've got a
fever they call the rodeo...just enough winnin' to make the next
show...sometimes you make 8 sometimes you hit dirt...go on and pin
another number to the back of my shirt..." - Radney Foster