From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:00:53 -0800

I wonder if we can lay to rest one of the major disagreements among the
celiac community that is instrumental in delaying action from the FDA on
better labeling requirements. Ann Whelan notes eloquently in "What do we
want on a food label?" from the latest issue of _Gluten Free Living_ :

". . . we [celiacs] desperately need a single gluten-free diet in this
country so we are in agreement about what we want next from the FDA.

        "As noted previously in this publication, we have that diet in
the revised guidelines for a basic gluten-free diet from the American
Dietetic Association. Questioning these guidelines for non-scientific
reasons prolongs the time before we can make a solid case at the FDA.

        "The agency will never tell us the source of vinegar, for example,
simply because some celiacs say they react to vinegars based on gluten-
containing grains. This is anecdotal evidence. In addition, every
scientist who has been asked has testified to the safety of distilled
vinegar for celiacs.

        "Further, unless these celiacs are reacting to malt vinegar, which
might contain barley hordeins (the toxic protein [for celiacs]), they are
not reacting to gluten. Beyond the barley used in malt vinegar, no
gluten-containing grains are used to make vinegar in this country."

Now that the CSA has finally come around on this point (mostly) perhaps
those who have individual sensitivities to vinegar will consider
compromising by letting go of this idea so we can make some long awaited
important progress with the FDA's requirements on labeling. For instance,
wouldn't it be nice to be able to look at a list of ingredients and see ALL
the ingredients listed, primary and secondary ingredients, rather than just
the primary ingredients. As it is now we simply cannot trust the
ingredients lists when trying to choose GF foods. If you vinegar reactors
can just forget this one for a while, I'll buy you a new bicycle :)

-vance