EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Doris Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:15:42 -0700
I do not know if this helps specifically with your
issue, but it seems like it may be useful information.

My profoundly dyslexic/dysgraphic son has had amazing
success learning to read (and improving his typed
writing) by reading along with tapes of books. He
jumped about 2yrs reading level over one summer with
no guidance, just listening and reading along with
books he loved. It also increased his verbal fluency.

I have used speech recognition software on and off to
assist with an RSI. The biggest problem I have run
into is that my voice modulates rather extremely.  Add
in my occassional asthma, which can lower my voice and
change my speaking speed, I have had troubles.
However, the physician who treated my hands calls
blocks of standard text using the software to put
together long, complex medical reports far more
quickly than he could by hand.

I think success requires planning. I also think see
his own words put in to text could help immensely with
reading. We will be moving my son to speech
recognition this fall. The school district had been
resistant, but his success with the tapes has moved a
mountain or two.  He sings, so the notion of keeping
his voice the same from session to session should
help.

Doris