EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Murali Penumarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 15:55:36 EST
Rudy thanks for sharing your thoughts. Actually you have enlightened me to
the kind of activism I and others could pursue in our goal of humanism. You
are very right about the homeless persons I often encounter at the road
corners and how at times I avoid looking at them, and also how I offer them
some money knowing fully well where it is going to be spent, to absolve
myself of the guilt feelings, remorse and pain of that person. I think your
kind of activism like sharing an old blanket or buying an extra burger is
noble and worthwhile. I remember once when I did offer the hamburger and sat
down next to the person and ate with that person I could see the joy and
belonging in their face.
    Truly to this day I could visualize that joy in my mind and sort of
calmness and gratitude fills my body! Strange in deed is the great universe
that gives me joy in others joy and pain in others pain! Thanks for reminding
me of the things I could do on my own and things I could do collectively. I
am glad we can think of our role in this human crisis so positively and not
worry about others for apparent apathy or lack of compassion (not knowing
their belief systems or experiences). Honestly when I am so imperfect myself
what right do I have to call someone else task? However as I realize my own
weaknesses and mend my short fallings I can be a guide to others by deed
rather than word! Thanks again
Murali