EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Murali Penumarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:12:21 EST
Paraphrasing Rudy's Comments:

"These people don't have any free choice
> or option of access to “super technology” as some of
> their disabled counterparts who may have fortune smile
> on them, and who possibly work for institutions and
> other such corporate entities that provides the
> Technology.  A valid question should arise in the minds
> of all logical minded persons because of this corporate
> decision.  And that is:  Will Mr. Goldstein comply with
> Federal Accessibility Guidelines and accommodate these
> disenfranchised individuals"

    I am an advocate of equal access to social resources for all people
despite their  disabilities whether physical or economic. However that is the
responsibility of the society to provide equal access to all its citizens and
NOT of the corporations. We elect representatives to make laws to foster
general social welfare of all the populace. Some demagogic politicians get
elected by representing themselves as champions of the people and portray
some individuals who take undue advantage of the social largesse and wish to
deprive the whole underclass on that basis. This type of propaganda serves
them well and they do get elected to high offices. It is the duty of
knowledgeable persons to lift these veils of demagoguery and expose it for
what it is. However the corporations have NO moral obligation to provide any
free Internet service to any individual poor, rich disabled or abled as much
as a pharmaceutical company has to provide the poor with free expensive
medications. However when they do so because it fits their business model
they have to be held accountable to the same guidelines as one would an ISP
such as AOL or ATT or MSN. If they discontinue the free model it is their
prerogative, however it is also the moral and ethical responsibility of
"Compassionate Conservatives" OR "Responsible Liberals" to make sure that
these economically deprived (I would say disabled) individuals, are not left
behind. A society that is divided in stratums, is not a sustainably
prosperous society in the long run. How does one provide the Internet access
to all the people at a reasonable cost before some politician starts talking
it down as another entitlement? Remember the Health Care Crisis and Universal
coverage!
    The reason we would want to look at the PG&E books would be to assure if
it is a contrived shortage but a real one (remember the hearings about the
gasoline shortages in summer, one wonders whatever happened to them)! I
believe in any society more so in a democratic society the populace has to be
vigilant, so that their rights are not usurped by some demagoguery or self
serving interests. This type of forums does help raise our awareness, however
it has to be coupled with some form of sustainable action, otherwise it just
becomes what it is: Just plain talk! In my humble opinion it is good to see
such divergent opinions.
Murali