EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karyl Loux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:52:03 -0400
As much as it disappoints me to say so, Window Eyes does not support Power
Point as you have already learned from them.  I can inform you that JAWS
does, and does a good job of it.  It is unfortunate that both screenreaders
don't do this, as most of my visually impaired students have Power Point
requirements.  It has become an educational standard, and is also pretty
much an employment standard in today's employment market.  I have students
as low as third grade that are now required to do book reports in Power
Point.  Thus, we are using JAWS and I use a combination tutorial that was
developed for the Technology Odyssey in PA last summer to teach them how.
They make informational slides, and they import pictures and graphics, and
make charts and diagrams.  They do this with no visual assistance.
Hopefully, it will also make them more employable in the future.  Power
Point shows are so common today, I wish that all screenreaders provided
access to them.

Karyl Loux, Senior Associate
De Witt & Associates
Consultants on Accessibility