EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ron Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:52:19 -0800
Tom,

I think the Federal Department of Ed. would disagree with you, or should I
say that the guidance they have issued thus far in regards to state agencies
in states that receive Tech Act funds does. What 508 does provide us is
legally enforceable standards that would probably be the first place a court
would look in a civil case related to a 504 complaint and distance
education.

More importantly I would look at how a college or university intends to meet
the Section 504 requirements if a student will a disability requests
accomodation in a distance ed offering. Can you insure that your DE
offerings can be made accessible in the very limited timelines provided with
a 504 accomodation request, based on our reviews of a lot of DE offerings I
would say probably not.

Ron Stewart