Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:00:24 -0800

Hi:

The post on Aplicare and the term "secret ingredients" reminded me of a
situation I ran across last week and wanted to hear what you all think.

I went to our neighborhood grocery store which also happens to have a
butcher shop.  I asked the butcher about some kabobs and whether the
meat had any seasoning on it. He said that it was their own special
seasoning.  When I asked for an ingredient list he told me that they
don't give it out.  I responded that for many people this is a health
issue and that it is very important to know what is in the seasoning.
He rather sarcastically said, "Sorry, it's a secret."

I'm wondering if this is legal.  Can they withhold ingredients out of
fear that I'm going to mass produce the seasoning?  I just assumed that
they somehow would fall under the same guidelines as any food producer
with labeling.  Anyway, I just wanted your opinion, expertise, etc.  I
intend to "enlighten" the management about celiac disease (and the law
if applicable).  Thanks.

Joyce
in Oregon