From:
Kyrie Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:41:51 EDT

Hi All:

I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my question - I am
sure it was not the first time this question was asked.   And I am very
grateful for this list - both for support and information.  I have made huge
strides in my health in just the last two weeks.

Here's the skinny on canola oil.

"There is an urban legend about canola oil, how bad it is, it will make
you sick etc.  Canola oil is made from rapeseeds. The myth is that it is
simply a relabeling of rapeseed oil which is posionous.  However, the
type of rapeseed used in canola oil is a special type developed in
Canada (hence the Ca in canola) and it is not harmful in anyway.   That
said there are still those who feel that even if canola oil is not bad
for you, it is difficult to digest and therefore anyone who had gastro
problems (like CD) should avoid it.  It is GF and if you like it and it
does not cause you distress then feel free to use it.  If you do not
like it and/or if it does give you problems then you should avoid it."

"Canola oil is definitely gluten free."

"I have lots of trouble with canola oil.  Perhaps it is due to cross
contamination due to crop rotation."

"canola has caused me a serious bout of diarrhea.  I understand that canola
(rapeseed) is often grown on fallow wheat fields and can be contaminated with
wheat.  Whether this is true or not, I do know I have several weeks of
diarrhea when I was using a canola margarine.  I finally came to my senses,
discarded the remaining margarine, and D stopped."

"I have a horrible reaction to canola oil, just as if I had eaten gluten
by mistake.  When an item says it is gluten free and then includes
canola oil, it is NOT gf for me! I am very sensitive and have been told
by people on this listserv that canola is grown on or through wheat. "

"Our support group is adamant about the canola oil being contaminated because
of the rotation of crops. I feel much better now not taking it in."

Molasses:

"Molasses is generally GF, but some brands may have caramel colouring added,

and that colouring may have been made from wheat.  Brer Rabbit and Grandma's

are GF; I'd be leery of generic brands."

"I've had problems with molasses but I somewhat suspect it to be the
yeast in the molasses(it was bought in bulk and if left at room temp the
top bulges.  No reply to date from the manufacturer."

"I recently had an ELISSA test, which tests your blood for sensitivites to
foods.

Molasses was one of them, along with carrots, mustard, corn, cloves, cola and
coffee.  I was surprised to see molasses there.  Dont know how this relates to
other celiacs, but thought it was interesting that you suspect it as a
problem."