From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:53:33 -0500

Cruising the mediterranean with bob & ruth                 8/01 by Janet
Y. Rinehart, Houston, TX Chairman, Houston Celiac-Sprue Support Group
Former President, CSA/USA, Inc.

When I was rediagnosed with Celiac Disease about twelve years ago, I
figured following the gluten-free diet precluded traveling beyond
English-speaking countries.  Well, three cruises have proved my initial
thoughts wrong.  Holland America paid attention to my diet issues and
baked fresh GF bread when we went to Alaska and Scandinavia/Russia.  But
the best trip of all was the most recent cruise on Orient Lines' Crown
Odyssey in the Mediterranean!  There were about 70 folks, a combination
of celiacs, "civilian" spouses and friends.  There really was a
dedicated gluten-free kitchen to see to all our food needs.  We celiacs
chose our meals a day in advance from a special menu that was very
similar to the regular menu's selections.  Tea was served in our special
area of the main dining room every afternoon. We had our own "midnight
buffet" after showtime every evening.  Feasting on gluten-free puff
pastry, finger sandwiches, fruit, cookies, cake, and many more delicious
concoctions was a real treat.  I have never enjoyed gluten-free bread
more than on this cruise. Even cold (although they usually were served
warm), I joyously ate the breads.  We appreciated that the chefs even
shared various recipes with us.  We certainly had gourmet fare!

 Bob Levy had arranged with Bi-Aglut personnel in Italy to give our
chefs a workshop on baking gluten free.  He also made sure all the cooks
were very familiar with all aspects of our zero-gluten diet.  Bob
arranged with various vendors for flour mixes and special products.  In
Barcelona he found a new company that produces delicate and delicious
croissants - to die for!  And he arranged for the ship to carry gluten-
free beer.  My civilian husband thought this beer was better than
regular light beer.  Every celiac who loved beer was very pleased and
hoped that this beer and the croissants could be imported to the U.S. in
the not-too-distant future.

 Our tour started in Barcelona with a half-day tour of the city.  The
ship stopped at ports at or near Monte Carlo, Monaco; Rome and Sorrento,
Italy (with tours available to Capri and/or Pompeii); Valletta, Malta;
Santorini island, Greece; and Athens.  We were extremely pleased with
the excellent tour guides provided by Orient Lines.  They were very
knowledgeable about city sights and the history of ancient sites.  It
would be hard to pick one favorite tour because they were all so good.
Unfortunately, the temperatures were just as hot as Texas', so the daily
walking and touring were tiring.  But we had the ship's air conditioning
to look forward to!

 The ship assigned positions at tables in our special section of the
main dining room .  It was fun getting to know new folks with whom to
share our tour and life experiences.  And we didn't speak celiac talk
all the time !

 Dr. Alessio Fasano and his family were guests on board with our group.
Dr. Fasano gave a very interesting presentation on the day we were at
sea about the Center for Celiac Research goals and achievements.  He and
Bob Levy had arranged a luncheon for the celiacs with the Italian celiac
leaders in Sorrento.  Good food (gluten-free pizza and GF beer)
highlighted the warm connections between the two groups.  This lunch was
a unique opportunity to understand the accomplishments and advantages of
having one celiac organization in a country.

 I wish you all could take advantage of one or more of Bob and Ruth's
Gluten-Free GetAways and/or cruises.  Bob and Ruth Levy are so good at
arranging gluten-free experiences!  It is so freeing for celiacs not to
worry about your food or have to shlep your own baggage!

--
Janet in Houston
Celiacs Helping Celiacs