From:
Laurel B. Schunk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 19:30:01 -0500

Thanks to everyone who wrote to help me with my questions about hiatal
hernia. People on this list are great! I received too many replies to
include every one, but I will compile the suggestions briefly:

The consensus was to follow the conventional guidelines about
diet--avoiding foods likely to cause GERD, sleeping with head of bed
raised, limiting how much one eats at any one time, not eating close to
bedtime, and so on. These suggestions I already follow but feel I may
need to cut back even more on how much I eat at meals, dividing them
into six small meals.

One person recommended an exercise performed by lying on one's back on
the floor, finding the hernia and pressing on it with the heel of your
hand to push it back in. [This was helpful to me.]

Two people said surgery worked for them or for a relative; one
recommended a doctor who sounds very competent. I'd rather avoid
surgery, but that may not be possible.

Thanks again. I appreciated all the input.

Laurel Schunk