EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:49:07 GMT
Hello Loretta,

Nice to see somebody from Adobe involved here.  It used to be
T V Raman.  I'd like to see an optimised translation to HTML,
and conformance to WAI content guidelines for the generated
HTML, assuming the structure of the original document is
reasonable.  HTML is the lingua franca for accessibility, with
XML to be added in the future.

Cheers from Chiswick,

John

P.S.  I'm worried when Kelly says that "the accessible PDF
is still going to take a lot of work on the part of the person
creating the source document."  If that is true, PDF is a lost
cause for accessibility.  It is hard enough getting people to
make their web sites accessible.

--
In message  <[log in to unmask]>
Loretta via [log in to unmask] writes:

>Kelly,
>
>  Considerable work has gone into improving Acrobat's ability to present the
>content in logical order. The support is direct via MSAA, rather than via
>translation to HTML, and the current translation tools don't reflect these
>improvements. When the Acrobat 5.0 Reader is available, I hope you'll find
>AccessGuide.pdf easier to read.
>
>        Loretta

>> I'm just curious.  I do view the recent developments as a step forward but
>> think the accessible PDF is still going to take a lot of work on the part
>> of the person creating the source document.

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London, UK
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk and http://www.wordaloud.co.uk