EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:01:31 -0500
Hi all,

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, cheer, cheer, cheer!!!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself.  My advice to you, old Martin
is watch the U.K., watch the U.K., there are some very clever Limeys
who are in the beginning stages of creating a screen reader for
X-Windows.  I predict that within two to three years, if they get
enough encouragement, you can hire a bouncer or better yet a game
hunter and shoot that 900 pound gurrilla, dead!  You can also tell
Freedom Scientific where they can take the remains of their 900 pound
gurrilla!

I hear W3 is looking for people to continue its development.  It works
pretty well with Emacspeak, although there are still sites it can't
access because it can't do cookies.  If it were able to do that, it's
usefullness to the Internet Community would increase exponentially!

JFW isn't the only screen reader for Windows.  Window-Eyes works
pretty well, if you must use Windows.

However, what made me cheer so loudly is that you were not afraid to
say the truth about the graphical screen readers.  What they do is
convert graphics to a text based medium so it can be used by the
blind.  You've said it soooooooo well!  Thank you!  And just in case
you die hard Windows people want to start screaming about file
conversion and that Unix/linux hasn't got a database or a spreadsheet
that is useable and can be converted into Gates material, I'd say look
again, folks, look again.  If that British Screen reader ever gets
developed, it will smash the Windows monopoly for the blind into
smithereens because it will allow us to use Wordperfect and not have
to pay for it.  It will allow us to use Netscape and all the other
utilities and programs that do the same things in X-Windows that are
now thought to be exclusively Windows based.  Martin, start looking in
the phone book for game hunters.

73.s
de n2gsx

--
                        Ann K. Parsons
email:  [log in to unmask]                   ICQ Number:  33006854