EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Elmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:20:31 -0800
We have used TextAloud to convert an Abnormal Psychology text to MP3 format
(on CD) for a student with a learning disability.  She listens to the CD as
she follows along with the book.  We record each chapter as a separate
file.  The main flow of the text is linear, but there are many side bars,
"highlights", short articles, etc., interspersed, which we  place at the
end of the file rather than interspersing within the main thread of the
text.  We put in page numbers to allow for some navigation.  Also, in
discussing this with the student, we agreed to remove all of the in-line
references. EXAMPLE:  (Smith and Jones, 1999; Marin, 1987), since they
interfered with the flow of the text.  We do have a master text file that
still retains those so we would have a good start if we needed to Braille
or if we had an e-text request and the student wanted the in-line
references.  For everything that we put at the end, we add a "transcriber's
note" like you would in Braille, referencing it.  We do not do descriptions
of charts, etc. as we would for Braille.

The student's reaction:  She loves it.  Can take her MP3 capable CD player
with her and study anywhere.  We also have a couple of MP3 capable CD
players available for check-out, but, since we just started doing this,
there have been no requests for a player yet.

It's a great solution for the right student.

John F. Elmer
Ventura College - EAC
4667 Telegraph Road
Ventura, CA   93003
805.654.6400, Ext. 1278

                    Jon Nakasone
                    <[log in to unmask]       To:     [log in to unmask]
                    DU>                      cc:
                    Sent by: "* EASI:        Subject:     TextAloud MP3
                    Equal Access to
                    Software &
                    Information"
                    JOHNS.EDU>

                    03/19/02 10:41 AM
                    Please respond to
                    "* EASI: Equal
                    Access to Software
                    & Information"

Does anyone use products such as TextAloud MP3 that can read information
from computer screens and also convert to MP3 within a disabilities
support program?  I'm particularly interested in putting audio files onto
MP3 players or CD for student use.

Thanks for your time.
Jon Nakasone
Digital Media Center