From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:51:15 -0800
Hi Steve!

Yes I agree, this sounds like a power supply problem.
The pause is probably caused by a delay in the power supply delivering
called for voltage.
PC power supplies deliver voltage on demand rather then putting out a
steady continuous amount.
The time it takes a particular power supply to respond to that demand is
called transient response >>>

transient response
Time required for the output voltage to return within the regulation
envelope following a 50% load change.

First make sure all your connections are good.
Then try another Power Supply and see if that helps.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>I recently assembled a new PC, details below, that does an odd thing when
>started. When first powered up, I hear the fans start and drives start. Then
>there is a single short beep, followed by a click where I can hear the fans
>slow down a bit then come back up to full speed. This is followed by 2 short
>beeps, and the display finally comes to life and it boots normally. The PC
>runs fine, and does not do the above when I restart it, only when system is
>first powered on. The system has 2 extra 80mm case fans, CPU temp never goes
>above 41C.
>Does this sound like a power supply issue? Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>Steve Dias
>
>System:
>AMD XP 1600+, Soyo K7V Dragon+, (1) 256mb Crucial DDR PC2100, InWin S508-IW
>case w/ 300watt PS (supposedly AMD approved), Volcano 5 hsk/fan, (1) IMB IDE
>40gb HDD, Plextor CDRW, ATI Radeon 32mb DDR LE, onboard sound and onboard
>NIC, floppy. USB ports not used, no modem. Running Windows ME.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml