Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:54:55 -0800
  Les, if you want to claim that what I said is "Not entirely true",
please say something that contradicts me.

  If you have two machines connected by a cross-over cable, then to
"Just connect one to the internet", you need a second network
connection in that machine[*], and to allow the other PC to use it,
you need ICS or some other gateway software on the machine with the
second connector.  And that's exactly my case #1.

Dave Gillett

[*] The second connector might be a modem or serial/USB port, but
since I believe we were given that he has a cable-modem, it should be
a second NIC in this particular instance.

[PERHAPS what needs clarification in my post is that in case #1, you
still need a single NIC in every other machine -- the two NICs in the
gateway don't allow you to connect a client without its own.]

On 29 Oct 2001, at 15:28, Les Barnes wrote:

> Not entirely true Dave. I ran two PCs for years with a NIC in each one
> connected with a CROSSOVER cable. Just connect one to the internet and
> you are all set.
>
> Les Barnes
>
> [log in to unmask] wrote:
> >
> > On 25 Oct 2001, at 12:12, Brian L. Sanburn wrote:
> >
> > > On the one hand I've read that I need two NICs in the Win98
> > > machine, one in the Win95 and a router, and in other places just a
> > > NIC in each PC with a router; I need MSs ICS setup on the Win98SE
> > > PC and in other places I've read no such thing.
> >
> >   There are two basic configurations:
> >
> > 1.  TWO NICs in the ICS machine, NO router.
> >
> > 2.  Router, one NIC in each machine, NO ICS.
> >
> >   You need a *gateway*; this is either a router, or a PC running ICS
> > (or other gateway software) with two NICs.  No PC besides the gateway
> > needs two NICs.
> >
> > Dave Gillett

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>