From:
Dave Ralph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:42:25 -0400
I should have made it clear that I am removing my old 1 and 4 Gig drives,
which were FAT 16 and Win95 powered, from the machine altogether.  I am
aware of the FAT 16 cluster/sector size problem vis a vis drive size, and
that is one of the main reasons for going to Win 98 in the new
configuration.  The mother board is about two and half years old, with a
333 K6-II AMD processor, and I have flashed the BIOS to allow support for
drives in excess of 30 GB.  The sole drive will be the 30 Gig, with Win98
SE for and OS and FAT32 formating.  My concern and ignorance was whether
the FAT 16 problem with overly large cluster size repeates itself on a
larger scale when drives get this large and whether there would be a
performance increase or not if the drive were partitioned.

It sounds as if the consensus is that drive performance and storage
capacity will not be appreciably different with one 30 GB partition as
opposed to multiple partitions, that the consideration for dividing the
drive would rather revolve around the value to a user of organazing
programs and data in separate partitions with some possible benefit to
troubleshooting which might flow from isolating files in separate partitions.

I think that for my own purposes a single 30 Gig partition will be the way
to go.  My thanks for the input which I value.

David E. Ralph
Chemung County Neighborhood Legal Services, Inc.
215 E. Church St., Ste 301
Elmira, NY 14901
VOX 607-734-1647
FAX 607-734-1018