From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:01:26 -0500
On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:56:08 +1000, Ultra <[log in to unmask]> posted article
<007a01c12eef$441bd260$b9f936cb@Master>, which said:

> Ethan, reformat won't solve the problem, win9x include Me, never designed to
> work with such amount of RAM, you have to limit Memory use to 512Mb, run
> MSCONFIG, there is an option to do it. For strange reason I couldn't
> explain, I've seen few machines that you have to limit Memory use to 510Mb
> or less, the magic 512 number will result system crash for them (512 should
> be fine, MS says).

Mine still gets out of memory errors when I set the MaxFileCache to 128
megabytes.  I'll try setting the Max RAM to 510 and see what happens.  I'm
using a KT7A-RAID / Athlon 1200 system.

> Anything more than 512Mb is waste for win9x, I don't even think win9x can
> take advantage more than 384Mb (doing Image editing and video editing on
> win9x, will use more than 256, for most win9x users, 256 is enough).

Techs say Win98 can address up to 2 gigabytes of RAM, but has trouble with
more than 512.  I do plan to get WinXP soon after it comes out, hopefully.

Ethan