From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:12:23 -0400
An internal modem is its own comm port, so you may not see a port in windows
device manager.  However, if you do see a comm 2 port, you may have found
your problem.  Ports 2 and 4 share IRQ 3 and your modem doesn't like that.
You should be able to verify in device manager that the modem is using IRQ
3.  I'm going to assume, because this is an ISA modem, that you have an
older pc with two serial ports, most new ones have only one.  I'm also
assuming you have the jumpers on the modem set to plug and play (if it has
any, some ISA modems did not support plug and play.)  The simplest thing to
do is to open the case and remove the modem, boot the pc, press del to enter
setup, and change the comm2 serial port setting in cmos to 'disable'.  There
should be a 'peripherals' screen in cmos that will allow you to do this.
Save the changes, replace the modem into an isa slot, boot into windows and
see if the modem will now install as comm2.
While you have the modem out, you might consider moving the jumpers to force
the comm port and IRQ you prefer, but this shouldn't be necessary.
Tom Turak