Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 22:54:44 -0700
On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 00:03:46 -0500, you wrote:

>Date:    Sun, 5 Aug 2001 23:06:51 +0200
>From:    Goran Halfvarson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Upgrading processor from Pentium II
>
>Hi! I am interested in getting a faster CPU.
>(The AMD Athlon 1200 MHz looks very tempting, considering performance versus
>price.)

When upgrading CPU without entirely "gutting" your system you can't
usually choose CPU based on the attractive price performance ratio of
the latest. You have to choose based on what exact parts your mobo
will accept. And that usually means neither the latest nor the
cheapest!!

For instance you might have to get a processor with the slower Front
Side Bus or an older socket type.  And usually current production is
less expensive BUT it requires new motherboard, new RAM and maybe much
more as well.

There are no adapters from Intel CPUs to AMD Athlon. You would likely
only be able to salvage only a few parts from your existing system and
essentially build new re-using probably  only a few drives and cards.

On the other hand you CAN fairly easily upgrade in an Abit BX6.  And
the result is certainly for practical purposes comparable to the
latest fastest systems.

The intel BX440 chipsey is unusually stable  This version of the board
has 1/4 divider for FSB and other dividers for AGP so you could even
have a stable system  up to 1GHz WITHOUT overclocking.   FSB up to
133MHz front side bus  If you you have GOOD  PC133 memory.) The board
can take up to 4 DIMM 256MB DIMMs.

With proper research you can put a PIII 1GHz socket 370 in an Abit
slotket adapter.  Your RAM would needs be good PC133. And it is
definitely harder to get a stable system.

Or you can put in a Celeron

In either case you will need to flash your BIOS

Personally I have upgraded Abit BX6 rev 2 for several people

 using a Celeron 800MHz in an Abit  Slotket II  (FSB=100MHz)

 using a PIII 1GHz Slot One  (FSB=100MHz).  The Slot one 100MHz
version costs about $40-50 MORE and is much harder to find.

Being that the computers I was upgrading were not mine and I did not
want to work through the 133MHz issues for free while they fretted and
worried  I just  took the easy way. If it was my system I probably
would have gone to 133MHz FSB with a FCPGA 1 GHz 133 in a slotket.

A 1GHz PIII in a BX board is still a very respectable system!

Since you have a PII in there at FSB 66MHz now it might well  be you
have PC66 memory? In that case you would need to replace it.

alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
alt.comp.mainboards.abit

You can use google.com  click on google groups to search many answers
about upgrading the BX6

Certainly your existing board "deserves" a new CPU.

>I have a Pentium II 350MHz Slot 1 on an ABIT BX6 2.0 mobo (from the spring
>of 1999).
>-- How can I upgrade?
>
>My plan is not to replace the mobo, if possible.
>-- Are there any converter kits, or adapters, to suit a faster processor?

Stick with this board and go with a Celeron or PIII.

>-----
>Background:
>
>I have tried to read the printed mobo manual and the ABIT web site
>http://www.abit.nl/:
>The ABIT BX6 2.0 mobo maximum supports 100 MHz FSB

Actually has a 133MHz setting and also settings that allow AGP and PCI
to stay at normal speed.  Intel BX chipset is not "officially" rated
at 133MHz FSB but in better late board designs it works..

>and Slot 1 Pentium III

or PIII in socket 370

>700 MHz (plus Socket 370 Celeron using an ABIT adapter).

or Celeron 800 or more in Abit adapter

>Apart from that, the ABIT boards are popular among overclockers. However I
>prioritize a stable system without a lot of fuzzing around in the BIOS.

So just don't overclock!  Run the CPU at rated speed.  Some
information on overclocker sites IS relevant to you though so read
them.

>I have already upgraded RAM to 512 MB, and the new disk is a 10000 rpm
>Ultra160 SCSI.

4.8 ms seek!  Fast as lightning.

>As I am not into gaming I have not considered upgrading the graphics board.

Only upgrade your video card  if you need support for big monitor, LCD
or Video capture etc.  Bear in mind that some AGP cards are very power
hungry and have trouble with "older" boards

>I would prefer not to replace the mobo. The reasons are:
>1. The amount of work involved in actually replacing it.

You are right!

If you need a new computer then  build another and xfer what drives or
cards you want.

>2. I would not gain anything from getting a faster IDE controller (the
>current is ATA/33) as I do not use an ATA/66 or an ATA/100 IDE disk (or
>should I write Ultra DMA/33 etc, I have not checked the nomenclature?...)

Your board has ATA33 and actually ATA66 and ATA100  IDE drives work
fine at ATA 33.  Current ATA100 and ATA66 are NOT actually fast enough
to read or write data from the platters much faster than ATA33.

Besides you have LVD Ultra 160 SCSI !

>Please give me some advice.

Definitely upgrade the CPU!
Your FSB is currently 66MHz.
If your RAM isn't all PC100 or PC133  it needs to be

If you want to try A PIII 133 FSB you have to research carefully and
you will need VERY good PC133 RAM and a GOOD power supply.

The Abit BX6 design is fairly stable and I HAVE seen these working
with fast PIIIs 133MHz Bus. One in a graphics business.  However I
hesitate to recommend this as a certain easy solution for everyone.
Its not as difficult however as all those  standard overclocker
boasts!

Many BX boards can't do 133MHz FSB without overclocking the PCI and
AGP however Abit BX6 rev 2 does has the necessary dividers. Earlier BX
boards generally force the ACP and PCI to run out of spec if running
FSB at 133.

A Slot One 100MHz FSB 800 850 or 1GHZ CPU is SURE to work And EASILY.
They cost quite a bit MORE than the common 133MHZ FSB part  but do not
require a slotket adapter. Also don't require PC133 memory.

The 800MHz and higher Celerons are 100MHz parts and always need a
Slotket adapter.

You WILL in any case have to flash your BIOS.

The earliest oldest  Slotket adapters do NOT support FCPGA
"coppermine" core CPUs.

Your mainboard is likely to NOT support the coming  next version PIIIs
with "Tutalin" core.

>Regards,
>
>Göran Halfvarson
>Lund, Sweden

Keep your computer in service!

Athlon IS a suitable choice for a new build. You would likely need not
just  new board andCPU but also  all new ram, Athlon rated cooling,
Athlon rated power supply etc. You would also have to work through the
VIA chipset issues and all the peculiarities of a new board.

There is no compelling reason for you  to move to Athlon since you
have a stabile BX system. You probably could not notice the diference.

Mark Paulson

San Jose, California
Silicon Valley

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: