Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 04:23:16 -0700
  The CPU speed is determined by multiplying the bus speed by a
multiplication factor.  In this case, the bus speed is 66 MHz, and
the P100 uses a 1.5x multiplier.  The P133 supports both 1.5x and
2.0x multipliers, selected by a couple of pins which are usually
routed to jumpers (or, just possibly, DIP switches) on the
motherboard.

  The ideal thing would be to locate a manual for the motherboard,
either from Acer or from whoever made the board for them.  Failing
that, there is often information printed in open areas on the board
identifying jumpers (often by "name", i.e. J51 -- you must find the
"J51" label elsewhere on the board) and their function.

David Gillett

On 23 Jul 2001, at 15:39, Kristen K Smith wrote:

> I need some advice upgrading my Acer Aspire with an Intel Pentium
> 133Mhz processor.  This is an old machine, which was originally
> running with a Pentium 100, and what little support that is left on
> their website indicates that the highest speed it can handle is the
> 133.  I swapped the CPU's, rebooted, and hoped that the machine
> would detect the new speed of the processor.  When it didn't, I
> tried checking the options in the CMOS setup, but didn't find
> anything to change there.  Right now, while booting up it still
> indicates that it is running a Pentium 100.  Does anyone have any
> ideas how can I make sure it correctly identifies the chip as a
> 133? Thanks!
>
> Kristen Smith

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>