C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 14:13:57 -0500
Betty, I'd agree with you except for the fact that the person involved chose
to show her dissatisfaction in a very dangerous way.  It was very dangerous
and not only could have cost her her own life but that of others.  I am
sorry but in this case, I feel the right of society must outweigh that of
the individual.  That is why we have laws, to protect society at large, and
those of individuals.  Can you tell me it's OK to kill someone just because
they feel frustrated?  I think not.

If after an evaluation, medication was not indicated, and then was forced on
her, that's one thing.  Merely suggesting medication is another.  Medication
is very helpful in cases of depression, and I cannot help but think trying
to kill oneself is a cry for help with depression.

Kat