C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:35:01 EST
Kat, I miss my Mom too. :-(  Unlike your Mom, however, mine was born after
her time.  She longed for the victorian era, I think, or at least to some
victorian image that seemed romantic to her.  She was able to come on board
with disability culture understanding a bit -- just a bit -- but it wasn't an
inate thing.

My eyes bugged out when I read your post.  I have a clear memory of watching
the jerry show once when I was a kid, when he specifically referred to the CP
telethon saying that he "would never parade his kids around on stage like
that."  He said that exactly, and I've never forgotten it for some reason.  I
mean that was a long time ago and long before I had a disabilty myself, but I
clearly remember him saying that.

How twisted and ugly a thing all of this is.