C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:59:28 -0500
Hi, Jan,

I think it\'s cool you\'re determined to pass Geometry.  I wonder if it\'d be acceptable for you to use Geometry software to do your graphing with.  If you\'d like, I could make some recommendations for you.  If you and your teacher do decide to go this route, see if your teacher will get the software for you via an academic discount, as you can save lots of money that way.

My favourite software for geometric modelling are Matlab and Mathematica.  Other stats packages good in modelling linear structures are Statistica and SPSS, but they are not geometry-specific.

You could also use Excel or Lotus spreadsheet to generate linear graphs, but I am not sure they are as good for math specs as these other packages I've mentioned, nor are they ideal for 3-D modelling.

             Kat

\"St. John\'s University Cerebral Palsy List\" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi there group!  I hope all is well.  I know I have not written to this
group in ages.  Listen, I have come across a problem and am wanting to know
if any of you have had this problem.

After this semester, I am 3 classes away from graduating with my associates
degree in Journalism.  I have passed all my \"college\" math requirements.  My
math grades are not the best but they are ok, \"C\" range.

I don\'t want to tut my own horn but I have a 3.5 GPA and am in the honors
program.  The problem is I have a high school deficiency in Geometry  With
all the other math\'s I have taken Algebra I, Algebra II, and elementary
stats there has always been a formula or calculator I  could plug the
problem into.  I may have to do like 10 problems over and over but after a
while I could figure it out.

But in Geometry I have problems drawing the obtuse, acute angles because of
my CP.  My fine motor problems cause this.  Also, I have problems with my
eyes due to strabismus (ie. a turned eye) I suppress the weaker eye\'s image
in order to avoid seeing double (diplopia).  (An eye doctor has told me
this.)  I believe that this is causing me depth perception problems.

I have tried passing this course twice in high school needless, to say I
didn\'t pass it.  What am I supposed to do?  I mean I would be more then
willing to give it my best shot again but with the problems I have mentioned
I don\'t think my chances are good.  I am not a person that likes to give up
or use my CP as an excuse.  But how should I handle this?

Thank You, for any help you could give,

Jan