C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:27:16 -0500
Thanks, Betty, but you're crediting me with more savior-faire than I
actually had at the time; if I recall rightly, I was 13 or so. I was too
astounded and dumbfounded to respond coherently.  My parents had never told
me I was "special," and since I went to school with physically-disabled kids
in elementary school, I never thought I was "special," and no one certainly
told me I was.  When I started junior high, I went to a parochial school,
but since these all were kids I knew in church, we were all used to each
other, and I never felt like I stuck out there, either.  At least not until
this little old lady made me feel conspicuous.

But that all changed when we moved to North Carolina after I graduated from
junior high and attended the local senior high school.  My high school years
were full of angst and anguish.  My college years were spent in re-defining
myself and then since then it's been a lot easier.

        Kat